Monday, March 9, 2009

Shame Lifter: The Review

So now that I've finished Shame Lifter I can really give a true review for it. The last post was just an impression but this is a true review.

It was exactly 12:01am on March 9th when I wrote this review (I write them out first). As bad as this sounds (and it's not meant to be insulting in any way), I am so glad to finally be able to say I've finished this book. The end of this book means the beginning of Scream by Mike Dellosso, it means I'm one review closer to writing in my new recycled-cotton paper notebook I bought and it means I've finished my first non-fiction book that I can remember. It seemed like it would take me forever to finish this book (I'm not a non-fiction girl) because I've had it since the beginning of last month. But, personally, I think God made it that way.
This book related so well to the theme and sermons from the Retreat I went on on Valentine's weekend (refer to Midnight Murmurs) and to the sermon my Pastor spoke (that I will be copying here soon) spoke to us Sunday passed; refer to chapter 10. The whole time Pastor John was speaking I was saying to myself, "This is no coincidence. God is trying to tell me something."Reading this book has helped me realize more things about myself, good and bad.
Ever since I lost my jump drive just before Christmas vacation, I've been kind of discouraged myself from taking down quotes. I tried doing it with this book, but it didn't work. But it wasn't because I didn't feel like it, but because there was so much to take away from this book that I couldn't possibly write it all down, it would ruin the book for everyone! So if you want to know what I'm talking about, PLEASE! check out this book, it's SO refreshing!

I just want to say to Marilyn (I hope you don't mind me using your first name) that you did a great job with this book. I noticed when I was almost done reading, the way you told your story; you seemed so excited and anxious to get your story out and spread the Word. I just want you to know that your happiness and joy and passion for the Lord could be felt through the pages of your book and I really appreciate such dedication. Shame Lifter really, truly spoke to me and made me look at myself, even if only for a second, from a different perspective, in another light. And those quizzes and prayers at then end of each chapter were a nice touch as well. Thank you so much for that experience!

1 comment:

Marilyn Hontz said...

Yes, feel free to call me Marilyn. :)
You're correct--I was anxious to get my story out--thanks for taking the time to follow me on my journey. I'm glad this was a helpful perspective for you.

Blessings!