Monday, January 26, 2009

Gotcha!

We got a pamphlet in my school just before Christmas Vacation to give us an idea of what this year's White Pine books were about. There was a summary for each of the 10 books and I went through marking the 5 I wanted to read (most of the time I don't have time to read more than that). I also chose a maybe, but only because one of my friends had read it before and said it was good. That maybe was Gotcha! by Shelley Hrdlitschka. Reading the summary, the whole concept of this game that revolved around beads was kind of stupid at the time. I mean, when you read the summary you kind of think to yourself: "How could you make this interesting at all?".
Then came the first day of White Pine. My school has a tradition of having 10 teachers read one of the books over the holidays and give us their own mini summary and review on the book during our first meeting. When it came time for Gotcha!, I got a little interested to see what Mr.McCormick, my favorite teacher commentator, had to say about this book I doubted so much. Sure enough, he turned me towards this book, and it ended up being the first one I read, not the last as I had originally planned.

The summary you read on this book is truthful to the story, but doesn't do it justice. In no way does it even come close to describing the true action and suspense that makes this book. Before I end this review, I want to tell you one thing; buy it, borrow it from a friend, the library, just do whatever you can to get your hands on this book. Lastly, I want to close with 4 words that will give you a vague idea of the kind of action you'll find in this book: Lord of the Flies

No comments: